Galfar Training Centre (GTC) is the first such centre set up in the Sultanate. It is also unique in that the personnel being trained at the Centre also stay on the premises of the Training Centre. This approach helps students to get closer to their work and environment, promotes a passion for learning and instills a sense of discipline and character.
Programs offered by GTC are intensive in nature and rich in content as they begin as early as 6 a.m. and work up to 6.30 p.m. The programmes are so designed that maximum learning is imparted to the students within an easy framework.
GTC is run by qualified and competent engineers with years of rich experience in their respective fields of specialization. In addition to the core team members, there are nationals employed to provide training assistance. Training is for a minimum period of six months and subsequent training is carried out based on the need. The course curriculum consists of the following :
- Attitude and Behavior Courses on desired behavior/attitude from the students towards superiors, peers, direct reports etc.
- Organization ethics
- Discipline and character formation
- Effective communication
- Supervisory skills
- HSE & First Aid courses
- Courses on every vehicle, tool or equipment relating to its mechanism, function, maintenance, trouble-shooting, inspection, upkeep, etc.
- English Language
In addition, there are special lectures delivered by Heads of the units of Galfar, presentations by the Ministry of Manpower on Oman Labour Law (OLL) and the delegates from PDO & other agencies on topics of interest and significance.
During training, field exposure is given by providing an opportunity to work at various locations. On successful completion of training, students are deployed in different locations with various employers. Subsequent periodic review of performance is also carried out by GTC and efforts are made to address the areas of concern by coming out with needful actions.
GTC commenced full-fledged training in 2002 with the first batch of 84 nationals trained on various heavy vehicles & equipment. Galfar was committed to employing those who would complete the training successfully, and the same was fulfilled. The second batch of 182 trainees was absorbed by most of the private sector companies in the construction sector in the Sultanate. The third batch comprising 258 students is currently undergoing training at GTC.
Section of trainees is coordinated through the Directorate General of Employment at Ministry of Manpower Office. The Prerequisites stipulated for enrollment as a trainee in GTC are :
- General Secondary School Certificate
- Light Duty Driving Licence
- Minimum of 22 years of age & above
- Registered with Ministry of Manpower
- Must not have obtained any previous training opportunity (sponsored by Ministry of Manpower (MOMP) or MOSLAVT(as known previously)
- People at GTC are committed to continuing their dedicated services in enriching the nation through training of nationals and meeting the expectations of the Ministry and the Country